Cheers to South African Sauvignon Blanc, especially those of the 2020 vintage! Sauvignon Blanc South Africa has announced the winners of the 2021 Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 competition – and no less than seven of the champion wines are from the 2020 vintage, which turned out to be an excellent one for Sauvignon Blanc.
This year’s Top 10 (in alphabetical order) are:
- Bellevue Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Diemersdal Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2021
- Flagstone Free Run Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Le Grand Domaine The Pledge Our Darling Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Nitida Wild Child 2020
- Spier 21 Gables Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Steenberg The Black Swan Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Strandveld Pofadderbos Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Thelema Sutherland Sauvignon Blanc 2020
The Top 10 was judged by a panel of leading wine experts with Cape Wine Master Dr Winifred Bowman as convener, as well as Charles Hopkins, cellar master of De Grendel, wine judge and author Fiona McDonald, Rüdger van Wyk, winemaker of Stark-Condé Wines, Johann Fourie, chief winemaker of Benguela Cove, as well as two Cape Winemakers Guild Protégés, Kelsey Shungking of Mullineux and Leeu and Victoria Davis of Boekenhoutskloof.