It’s still time for hearty red meat casseroles in which the fabulous red wines of the Cape play an indispensable part. Try this one from the people at Fat bastard for size.
If you are not into reds why not try the Haute Cabriere Chardonnay Pinot Noir with rich pea soup as an alternative? You do know how to make pea soup of course??
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 150g spicy chorizo, skin removed & diced
- ½ cup Shiraz wine
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small fresh chili, finely diced
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- ½ cup 125ml fresh cream
- 500g potato gnocchi
- ¼ cup fresh basil, roughly torn
- 300g Fior di Latte mozzarella
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- (You can cook this dish in an ovenproof pan from the beginning or else transfer everything to an ovenproof dish at the end to bake.)
- Using a drizzle of olive oil, fry sliced onions and chorizo over a medium heat until soft and golden brown. Deglaze with the wine. Add the minced garlic, chili and dried herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a few minutes until it turns a warm brick red colour and smells fragrant. Add the tinned tomatoes and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Add the cream and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi and cook according to package instructions. Gnocchi will be cooked once it starts floating on the surface. Do not overcook.
- Drain gnocchi and add it to the tomato sauce along with the fresh basil. Mix.
- Scatter over roughly torn pieces of the fresh mozzarella.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh basil and a sprinkle of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread and a fresh green salad.
- ENJOY WITH A GLASS OF THE LUSCIOUS FAT bastard SHIRAZ: Sumptuous, smooth, spicy and complex packed with delicious red fruit.