OK so its not Greg’s Table but if I want a day off—and who does not—I love to go to Muratie –to their Farm Kitchen to be exact—to eat some of Kim Melck’s delicious home cooking. One of my fcavourites is her Pork Belly recipe so here it is.
Take a nice thick pork belly and have it scored in squares or thin strips – this will make the carving easier when cooked.
Pre-heat the oven 180˚ C.
Using medium coarse salt and white pepper, season on both sides – be generous with the salt.
Place half a cup of water in the roasting pan, this prevents the belly getting stuck to the pan and burning.
Place in the middle of the oven and roast for about 2 to 3 hours depending on the size and thickness of the piece of meat.
The top should be beautifully brown and the crackling fit for a king.
I like to serve it with a butternut puree and seasonal vegetables.
And of course, a glass of MURATIE GEORGE PAUL CANITZ PINOT NOIR.”
BUTTERNUT PUREE RECIPE
- Butternut – 1.13kg
- Carrots – 145g
- Chicken stock – 1 cube
- Paprika – 10g
- Cream – 30ml
- Black pepper – 5g
- Salt – 5g
- Water – 500ml
- Peel butternut and carrots, cube the butternut and dice the carrots.
- Add water, chicken stock cube, butternut and carrots to a pot. Boil until soft.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Let rest until room temperature then add the cream.
- Puree in a food processor (hand wand) until smooth – it should have a lovely vibrant colouR
- .MURATIE WINE ESTATE STELLENBOSCH PHONE 0021 865 2330